Special Care Dentistry & Complex Medical Patients
April 21, 2022 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm PDT$50 – $590
MasterTrack Session 4 - Day 1
Delivery: In-Person Lecture & Hands-On or Virtual Workshop
Location: Washington AGD Global Education Center
Lecture & Hands-On:
- AGD Member Dentists: $490
- + Staff: $150 per person
- Non-AGD Member Dentists: $590
- + Staff: $250 per person
- UWSOD AGD Members: $99
- UWSOD Non-AGD Members: $150
Virtual Viewing Lecture Only:
- AGD Member Dentists: $199
- Non-AGD Member Dentists: $299
- Staff: $175
- UWSOD AGD Members: $50
- UWSOD Non-AGD Members: $90
Subject Codes: 750 – Special Patient Care; 730 – Oral Medicine, Oral Diagnosis & Oral Pathology
Credit Hours: 8.0
Light breakfast, lunch, parking, all hands-on materials are provided for in-person attendees.
Dentistry on the best of days can be challenging even on the most ideal patient. However, there is a broad spectrum of patients that may require additional management and special care. These patients may require modification of both treatment planning and delivery of care.
Dr. Duong will review what “Special Care Dentistry” and treatment of “Complex Medical Patients” can look like in a general practice. By the end of the day, participants will have more confidence and strategies to engage a larger patient population.
TOPICS & OBJECTIVES
Special Care Dentistry
- Intellectual & Learning Disabilities
- Developmental Disabilities (Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Down Syndrome)
- Genetic Disorders
- Neurological Disorders
- Anxiolysis and Sedation Options for Patients with Special Needs
- Treatment Planning for Patients with Special Needs
- Treatment Modifications for Patients with Special Needs
- Legal Considerations for Patients with Special Needs
Dentistry for Complex Medical Patient Care
- Common Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office
- Management of Uncontrolled Diabetes
- Management of Common Cardiac Conditions
- Management of Patients with Common Infectious Diseases (Hepatitis, HIV, etc.)
- Management of Patients with Cancer Treatment and Terminal Illnesses
- Management of Patients with Bleeding Disorders
- Management of Patients with Organ Failure & Transplants
- Managing Geriatric Patients
DMD, MPH, MEd
Mai-Ly (My-Lee) received her Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) and her Masters in Public Health (M.P.H.) from A.T. Still University. In additional to private practice, she also serves as Assistant Professor at the Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health. In addition to her dental school training, she received a certificate in Advanced Education in General Dentistry from NYU Lutheran Medical Center, which helped her evolve her skills to include CEREC restorations, implant placement and restoration, and advanced periodontal surgery. She is trained in sedation dentistry, as well as in treating patients who have special needs or complex medical conditions.
She recently completed her Masters in Education from the University of the Pacific and is a Fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry (FAGD). She is active in Spear Education and has a passion for lifelong learning. She is an active AzDA and ADA member serving both on the state and national level in various positions. She also serves on the Arizona Dental Foundation Board of Directors, Special Care Dentistry Association national board, Oral Cancer Foundation – Arizona Chair , and Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Event Committee.
During her spare time, she loves watching movies and playing with her dogs.
The Washington AGD is a Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement. AGD-Washington, Nationally Approved From 6/1/2018 - 5/31/2024
CE Credits will be issued for Verified Attendance at the WAGD/CARDP Ongoing Webinars
The Canadian Academy of Restorative Dentistry and Prosthodontic is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual activities or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. The Canadian Academy of Restorative Dentistry and Prosthodontics designates this activity CE for the WAGD/CARDP CE Portal Webinar Series. WAGD CE, online Lecture Webinars providing 1 to 3 hours each of continuing education credits. Concerns or complaints about a CE provider may be directed to the provider or to the Commission for Continuing Education Provider Recognition at ADA.org/CERP.